As all of you may know, I absolutely love our wedding photographer, Jessica Claire
. Her work is so beautiful - she somehow captures moments that no one could ever possibly see. I had a chance to sit down and talk to Jessica about her sources of inspiration. I'm not one to write a detailed account of each of the questions I asked her - it was more about trying to understand the world from her point of view.
Link to more of the set from the first picture.
But, before we go into that, I want to say a big CONGRATS, Jessica, for being named one of the top 10 best wedding photographers in the world
by American Photo (see page 2 of the article in the link). You deserved it like nobody's business.
Here are some of my takeaways:
1. She draws inspiration from things like fashion or things she's seen in a magazine. She talks about Becker fondly not only as her friend but as a person who helped her get started in the biz.
2. She's a savvy businesswoman who can somehow manage the role of photographer and businessperson effectively. Case in point, she started creating a brand of bags called ShootSac
when she saw a need for stylish camera bags. (I have the bag and a few covers - esp love the Baroque
cover.) She's also deliberately created the "Jessica Claire" brand, complete with logo.
3. She's a poker player (and a good one at that). She loves the strategy involved, being able to outwit your opponent. It helps her be more creative in her daily life.
4. How does she describe her style? Clean, crisp, bright and fun.
5. Probably my biggest takeaway was her willingness to share and be open with others - esp other photographers. In this day and age, anyone can try and emulate your work. BUT. It's going to be YOUR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, the world seen through YOUR OWN EYES, that will differentiate you.
One of my favorite shoots:
And, even though you've already seen some, i'm throwing one in from our wedding:
Thanks, Jessica, for opening up to me. You are an inspiration to us all. We're honored and thrilled to have you as a part of the Met.