My favorite parts
* The writer-comedian (full name: Elizabeth Stamatina Fey) and her musician-director Jeff Richmond, "a short, puckish man of 48 in jeans and a T-shirt", dated for seven years, have been married for another seven, and have worked together in improv theater in Chicago, on Saturday Night Live, and on 30 Rock. (He composed the bouncy retro theme music.)
* At this year's Emmys, as she accepted her award during her "Cinderella moment", glowing in a strapless eggplant mermaid David Meister gown and silver Manolo Blahniks, her purse was stolen while she was onstage.
* Liz Lemon tells Oprah on 30 Rock that she was a virgin until she was 25. Tina Fey confesses much the same.
* Liz Lemon favors her right side. That’s because a faint scar runs across Tina Fey’s left cheek, the result of a random violent cutting attack by a stranger when Fey was five. Marci Klein—the cool, tall, blonde executive producer of 30 Rock and producer of S.N.L., and the daughter of Calvin Klein—was kidnapped for 10 hours when she was 11.
* Fey recalls she was at her heaviest in Chicago and, later, sitting at a desk at S.N.L. "I’m five four and a half, and I think I was maxing out at just short of 150 pounds, which isn’t so big. But when you move to New York from Chicago, you feel really big. Because everyone is pulled together, small, and Asian. Everyone’s Asian."
* The "off-brand” Mexican cheese curls Liz Lemon noshes on in 30 Rock, “Sabor de Soledad”, means “taste of solitude” in English.
If you have not watched 30 Rock, please do. It is a smart, delicious and delightful morsel of half-hour comedy. No gross stuff or stupid physical antics, just intelligent scripting and whole lotta celeb appearances. I love it!
A (now famous) clip from the recent season premiere starring Oprah: